Remember when you were a kid, and every time your parents got neopolitan ice cream, you only ate the chocolate and vanilla sides, leaving a slab of artificially pink, over sweetened ‘strawberry’ ice cream as the leftover for anyone who actually liked the stuff??
No?? Just me?? Oh.
Well I for one hated strawberry ice cream. I hate ‘fruit’ flavored things. It all tastes fake.
Banana flavor? fake. grape? fake. And what exactly is a ‘blue raspberry’??
Even as a child I knew the difference between what a strawberry should taste like, and what tries to pass for strawberry in most ice creams.
Now, I’m not hating on anyone who likes strawberry ice cream, I’m just saying I was not a fan. And that my version is better. Because its the real deal.
Are you ready for this?? A flavorful, healthy, delicious, milkshake with bits of real, fresh summer strawberries. It made me a believer.
Strawberry Fields Milkshake
serves 3. Vegan, gluten free, sugar free, low fat
- 3 C. very ripe strawberries, stems removed
- 1/4 C. coconut water (regular water should work too)
- 1 1/2 C. vanilla non-dairy ice cream (I used my Chickpea Ice Cream)
- 1/2 C. non-dairy milk (unswt. vanilla almond)
- 2 tsp princess extract, or 1/2 tsp each lemon and almond extract plus 1 tsp vanilla (Optional)
- 3/8 tsp xanthan gum
- 10 ice cubes, plus more depending on desired thickness
- stevia to taste
Finally!!! Something to do with all of those strawberries that decide to get over ripe before you actually get around to using them!!
Sorry, I had too…